Quote of the Day

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

American Heritage Academy

On March 8, 2009, the Arizona Republic reported that Prescott teacher Emili Kay Daniels had been arrested after the school principal found her and a 17-year-old student in a compromising situation.

It turns out she and the student had at least three sexual encounters on campus. You can find more on this story here, here, here, and here.

The school where this took place is the American Heritage Academy, a charter school co-founded and run by GW alumna and trustee Vicki Jo Anderson.

Shanon Brooks used to work at American Heritage, and Troy Henke, who set up the mathematics program at GW, taught there right after graduating from GW. He went on to found the Idaho Leadership Academy, whose subsequent charter battle inspired Richard Stout's "Diploma DeMille" piece.

Obviously, what happened does not reflect on GW. But I think the connections between American Heritage Academy and George Wythe College are at least tangentially interesting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

True Story: Last week I had to fire one of my employees for trying to sell illegal drugs to a number of my other employees. If I decide to involve the local sheriff’s office, there might even be a write up in my local paper. I’m sure you’ll find this “tangentially interesting,” since I too am a GW alumna. See the “connections?” Obviously, this will ultimately reflect badly on George Wythe University. Surely the new owners of Classic Books are somehow to blame? Let me know. Thanks to TRGW for this open forum where we can get to the bottom of these mysteries that appear to “saturate” TJED. I’m so glad these “opinions” won’t be deleted like so many others of my anonymous friends on this blog.

The Real George Wythe said...

Not sure what deleted opinions you're referring to, but I only reject/delete posts that violate the blog rules:

- Be respectful; please use civilized discourse (e.g. no profanity)
- Cite your sources when making claims
- Avoid personal attacks and unsubstantiated claims that may constitute libel

I don't delete posts based on that post's point of view alone, unless it contains egregious profanity or borders on libel.

Note also that, to filter spam, comment moderation is enabled for posts older than 10 days.

R.C. said...

I actually deleted a bunch of my opinions that I no longer agree with, or that they were just stupid rants. As far as I know TRGW only deletes bad language posts - like the crazy coffee guy.

Anonymous said...

Arrested for soliciting a prostitute Dec. 10, 2010 Cedar City, UT www.thespectrum.com