Quote of the Day

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Update on Goodloe Quote -- They Did Alter It



On page 36 of GW's 2007 catalog, I found the same William C. Goodloe quote currently used on the school's homepage, but with the word "College" instead of "University" used:

"George Wythe College is really teaching students to think because it is applying the lessons of past generations. Students attend class excited and yearning to learn; they graduate motivated and dedicated to serve. Our nation, indeed our world, needs the education George Wythe College is promoting."


So there we have it. Goodloe didn't misspeak, prophesy, or come back from the grave; GWU changed his quote. Now I don't care if the school calls itself a college, university, or constitutional convention; that's not the issue. The issue is proper, honest attribution. But proper attribution doesn't appear to matter when you're providing the kind of education the illiterate Joan of Arc received, does it?

6 comments:

James F. said...

Good find. And I stand corrected. Admittedly, though the meaning hasn't been changed, I would consider that adherence to accepted style guides is quite important. And I don't know of any style guide that allows for such changes without denoting. "University" ought to have its very own set of [ ].

Have you by chance sent an email or anything to them about this? I'm interested to see how they handle this.

James F. said...

Wow, quick response. So I sent an email to GWU and within a half hour they sent this response:

"Thank you for pointing out this discrepancy. When we changed from college to university our webmaster globally changed the word "college" to "university" using an automated search and replace mechanism. The quote was inadvertently changed as a result.
I will have it corrected today.
Best regards,
Gary L. Arnell
Vice-President, Administration
George Wythe University"

Well that answers my question of how they were going to handle this.

The Real George Wythe said...

James -

I don't recall seeing this on their website before it was GWU -- and I scoured the website several times. But whatever. We'll see if they change it.

R.C. said...

It seems strange that a website editor would be allowed to make such sweeping changes. However, I have looked back at the web.archive.org sites for GWC and I don't see it. I will keep looking though.

Anonymous said...

I've been in the hosting/web design business for years and don't find it odd at all that the webmaster -not website editor- be allowed to make such sweeping changes. It's quite frequently done throughout the industry. A simple regular expression search and replace.

The Real George Wythe said...

Anon -

The only problem is that this quote doesn't appear to have been on the website before the switch. Indeed, the school revamped its website a few months ago, and that's when the quote appeared. They did the find-and-replace last year.

No matter. They made the change. Not an issue any more.