Quote of the Day

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Definitions

In deference to our faithful pro-TJED/GWC commenter, James F., I think it would be a good exercise to define some terms.

I'm going to take the list James came up with here, expand on it slightly, then copy (nearly verbatim) the related definitions from the online Merriam-Webster dictionary. Later I would like to build an identical list populated with definitions from Oliver DeMille, TJED and GWU literature, then juxtapose the two.

UPDATE: I have included Noah Webster's 1828 definitions as well.

2 comments:

James F. said...

Heheheh, thanks RGW. And while these definitions will prove useful to the discussion here, you ought to know that GWU uses Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary. ;)

The Real George Wythe said...

James, I have now included Webster's 1828 definitions as well.